If you are running windows 7 on your computer , you will be well known that windows 7 use to show all user accounts on welcome screen which exist on your computer. One can select any one user account and subsequently can fill password for that user account and may be able to log in to computer. But this feature has always some security risks. As all the user account names are displayed on welcome screen. So your username is always displayed to anybody stranger. He don’t need to find your username. He can guess your password too and can log in to your computer. He can damage your system or can stole some important data from your computer.
To overcome this problem you can enable Windows XP style welcome screen where any computer user needs to enter USERNAME as well as PASSWORD on welcome screen after starting windows 7. So any computer user account name will not be displayed on welcome screen. So this can help you in hiding all user accounts from welcome screen. Besides you will be able to log in any hidden user account by this screen. To enable windows XP style log in screen which require password as well as username during log in, you can follow simple steps given below:-
- Go to Start menu >> Run or Press Windows key+R
- Type regedit in Run dialogue box
- If it prompts for your permission press Yes.
- When registry editor is opened just follow the path as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SOFTWARE >> Microsoft >> Windows >> CurrentVersion >> Policies >. System
- Locate dontdisplaylastusername in right hand side files as shown in above image. Right click on dontdisplaylastusername and select Modify.
- To enable Windows XP style log in screen with username and password, put the value as 1 and keep the base as Hexadecimal.
- To revert back to new windows 7 style log in which require only password for any one user account out of shown on welcome screen. You can put value as 0 and base as Hexadecimal.
Finally press OK. Restart your computer. Now you will see welcome screen in window 7 requires username and password for log in to any user account. In this way, you can enable windows xp style user account log in with username and password to make your computer security more better.