All windows operating system versions like windows xp, windows vista windows 7 provide a feature to create multiple user accounts. You can provides each user accounts some specific permissions. If there are more than one user accounts on a computer. They will be displayed on welcome screen. You can login to specific user account. In fact while displaying all user accounts on welcome screen has always some security risks. Somebody can hack your computer by just guessing your password as username is already displayed here. To make security more stronger on your computer, your can hide a user account from the welcome screen in windows xp, windows vista and windows 7 by simple hack as explained in following steps: -
- Go to Start >> Run or Press Windows key+R.
- Type regedit in Run dialogue box opened.
- If it prompts for your permission to edit registry, just press Yes.
- After registry editor opens, just follow the path as given HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> Software >> Microsoft >> Windows NT >> CurrentVersion >> Winlogon >> SpecialAccounts >> UserList
- If you can’t see SpecialAccount under Winlogon, just right-click on Windlogon >> New >> Key. Name this key as SpecialAccounts.
- Now right click on SpecialAccounts >> New >> Key. Name this key as UserList ( Case sensitive)
- If SpecialAccounts and UserList are already present under Winlogon, You need not to perform above two steps. Just continue from below step.
- Now right click on UserList >> New >> DWORD(32-bit) Value
- Just name this value exactly as the user account which you want to hide.
- Restart your computer. You will not see that specific user account on welcome screen on starting windows this time.
- For logging in to hidden account in windows xp, First option is to go to reboot windows in safe mode. In safe mode all the user accounts will be shown. And you can log in to hidden account. Besides you can type manually username and password on welcome screen to log in hidden account.
- Secondly you can press CTRL+ALT+DEL ( two times)
- But to log in hidden user account in windows 7, you can read our detailed article How-To enable user account login with username and password in Windows 7. After making some changes as explained in this article. You will be able to log in by typing username and password in welcome screen just as in windows xp.
Now again to show this hidden user account, just delete above DWORD(32-bit) value created. That user account will be again shown on welcome screen.
So you can hide any user account in windows xp, windows vista and windows 7 to make your computer security more better.